Tuesday 3 July 2012

Healthy Food

Top Tip number 3
Interesting quote on the telly this week. Apparently Le Tour riders need to eat between 7000 and 10,000 calories a day during the race. We probably don't!

Riding a bike uses energy if you don't put enough energy in you will run out. Traditionally in the world of cycling running out of energy is called the 'bonk'. If you believe all the marketing hype the thing to do is buy sports drinks, energy bars and gels and you have it sorted. Whilst these things are great for topping up your energy levels they are dreadful for your teeth and I don't think they do your insides a lot of good either.

I find that for less than a couple of hours all I need is my normal food, a bottle of water on the bike and a little bit extra afterwards.

If I'm going to be out for a longer period of time I need to eat as I ride or dive in a cafe. Bananas, flapjack and cereal bars are a good energy source and can be had fairly cheaply. On talking to the legendary Gethan Butler about ultra distance food I understand he eats cold sausage as it has plenty of energy and doesn't upset his stomach. Ultra distance feeding is really another issue which I may write more about another day.

Energy products do have a place, I usually  carry a couple of energy bars or gels but rarely use them. I would guess I if I buy a gel it may two or three weeks in my pockets before I get round to consuming it. But they get me home when I find I need one because if missed lunch, got lost, taken longer than expected etc. etc.

Racing is a different story, in this situation I'll risk the damage on my teeth and have bottles of energy drinks and a couple of gels. I find, at least in the races I do, eating isn't going to happen as I struggle to breathe,  keep up and get energy in. I can manage to sup on a bottle or gulp a gel. Gels can be carried tucked up the leg of your cycle shorts. This makes them easy to grab and is much less hassle than your jersey pockets especially if your hands are wet or you have gilet/cape on.

My advice would be eat ordinary healthy food. If your trying to get fit and loose a little weight don't make the mistake of thinking that because you've riden a bike for a couple of hours you need the same amount of energy as Mark Cavendish after winning a stage of the Tour (which he did yesterday)



No comments:

Post a Comment